Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Did It!

(A quick little post in between my vacation posts)

Today I rode 25 miles in the Salt Lake City Marathon, Bike Tour. I had not trained as much as I had wanted (maximum of 4 times on my bike). But, I did it!

Happy to cross the Finish Line!

My Mom and Dad came up at 5am to pick me and the kids up. We loaded up my truck and dropped me off at the bridge up at the University of Utah. They headed down to gateway to meet me at the finish line.
There were probably over 2000 bikers. It was crazy how many bikers there were. We took off at 6am. I wasn't peddling until about 6:10 when I crossed the starting line, because of how many participants there were.
We rode up foothill drive than down 2100 south. Turned at Highland High, then road around the neighborhoods and made our way to 6200 south. Came back on Van Winkle and to 500 East to end at the Gateway Mall.

The first time stopping, at the end!

I never once stopped or got off my bike and made it in 1 hour and 45 min. I felt great. One of the best parts was the cheering along the way. People sitting out on their lawns, standing on their curbs or helping out at the aid stations, cheering you on. They don't know you but they recognized the effort and wanted to tell you "Good Job". The best sign I past said "We love our Hometown hero's".


* I would love to challenge anyone to try something in your community. It maybe only the 1 mile fun walk/run, or a 5k or bigger. They have them going on every weekend all over the place. It just makes you feel great about yourself, it also makes you want to cheer on others, and it is great for your health. *

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Good job Traci!! I am so proud and excited for you.

Catherine said...

Ditto what Kathy said! Traci, you have been such a good example to me with your healthy lifestyle! And you're just a great friend! I love ya!

Cameron Family said...

You go girl! I have wanted to do something for ever, but am so out of shape! Loved all the pics from your trip as well! It looks like you guys had a great time!

Julie G. said...

Good for you. I always think about the marathoners/bikers because I always head home right when it is starting after a night shift! Awesome without training too!

Unknown said...

Way to go! We're excited to have such an athlete on our Wasatch Back team!

Fisher Family said...

Way to go Traci. I don't know how you manage to do everything that you do! I'm lucky to have such a great friend!

Jeff & Melissa said...

Good Job.... I think my butt would be so sore!! Maybe when I get a nice bike, Ill have to join you!