Monday, August 4, 2008

The 24 hour Camping Trip

Etta and I have been wanting to go camping for a couple of weeks. We talked Andy into going this last weekend but had to change plans a bit. Instead of going Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. We left Saturday afternoon and stayed 24 hours. With two small little ones that was perfect.

We went to Mirror Lake area. Found a quiet little spot right above the Provo river. Andy set up our camp and hammocks and we all just played in the dirt until it was time for dinner. Andy can cook anywhere. At home he makes the most delicious dinners so he didn't let us down. We ate an amazing chili with sweet sausage and kidney beans. I tried to help by cutting onions but ended up cutting a large slice of my finger almost off. Luckily we had some nice friendly camping neighbors that had some band aids, gauze and tape.

After cleaning up I couldn't wait any longer and around 6:30 I started my fire. Etta was a great help finding sticks and handing them to me as we worked at getting our fire going. We did a great job and had it started in no time. Gibby just sat and watched everything going on. I have learned that is how they learn and grow. Every now and then he would climb out and play in the dirt it was just darling.
Andy popped out the marshmallows which entertained us for a hour and a half. Etta loved the roasted marshmallows and graham crackers and chocolate but not so much all together. Or she just couldn't wait for us to put it together. Gibby tried a roasted marshmallow, he pulled it out of his mouth and played with it. It was all over his hands and before I could grab a wet wipe Etta was grabbing his hands and licking them clean. It was the cutest thing. Gibby seemed to like the non-roasted marshmallows better.

Around 8:00 the kids and I headed to the tent, changed them into their pj's and put them to sleep. They went to bed great. Andy and I sat by the fire for a little while. Once we ran out of wood we headed to bed also. When we climbed in Etta was awake but just laying down like a good little girl. We were all tucked into the tent even Hatcher. It took me a while to fall asleep and I woke up many times. I just chalk it up to being a mom.

Gibby was awake around 6:30, Etta just a bit after that. We played in the tent until we saw the sun was awake too. Then climbed out to let daddy sleep a little bit more. Once we were out of the tent we started preparing breakfast. I chopped up the bacon while Etta tried to beat the eggs. Daddy came out and he put everything together. We ate some great little bacon and egg omelets.
We tried to relax for a bit but then decide to pack up camp. Etta stayed busy taking Hatcher for walks all around the camp ground. Gibby enjoyed just watching again. By 11:30 we pulled out of our campsite headed home with one detour. The Spring Chicken Inn.

We had a great time. Etta loved camping in the mountains, Gibson was dang cute just being my little dirt boy, and of course Hatcher loved being out of the house and with all of us.



3 comments:

Kathy said...

How fun! I think 24 hours is the perfect amount of camping time! Just long enough to have fun, get dirty, and get home to a nice shower. :)

Fisher Family said...

I think it was all those Girls Camp certifying when we were 12 that helped you build your fire! ;)

We serioulsy thought about joining you. Richard was going to take a detour through Evanston!! ....if only our kids would have been home tucked into bed with Grandma!

Cameron Family said...

Looks like you guys had a great time and I think you are right 24 hours would be the perfect time....For me and the kids! :)