Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Grandma Etta May and Etta Lyn


Our Darling Etta Lyn was named after Andy's two wonderful Grandma's. Etta May and Evelyn. She was never able to meet Evelyn but has had a number of wonderful trips to southern California to play with Etta May.
Grandma Etta May was really sick on Saturday and ended up in the Hospital Sunday. Later that evening she suffered a stroke. Monday Andy was told she didn't have a good chance of getting better or recovering. Facing the hard decision to remember her simile and funny jokes he opted to stay home and not fly out. We left him in the office to have some alone time. Etta came and asked me why daddy was sad. I told her Grandma Etta was very sick and in the hospital and daddy loves her very much and is sad she is sick.
This morning while doing breakfast and house straightening. Etta walks in holding her play phone to her ear. She talking quietly and has a very concerned face. She than hands me the phone. I ask her who it is and she tells me it is Grandma Etta, and she is still really sick in the hospital. Etta tells me she wants me to tell Grandma Etta I love her and to get better. This will make Grandma Etta happy. So I do so trying not to cry. Once I am done she takes the phone back again and tells Grandma Etta she loves her, Daddy loves her, Gibby loves her and then continues down her list from Hatcher to each baby doll.
Little children are so precious and full of unconditional love that shines through every thing they do.
We don't believe Grandma Etta will be getting better, but we have loved every minute with her, loved her always happy smile and the many games of dominoes.


3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. Children can really bring light in a time of saddness with their innocence and natural commpassion. Our grandma just recently passed away this summer and it was hard but somehow taking about it with our kids and explaining sickness and death made it easier to deal with. I love that you have all those pictures with Etta and her grandma, She will be grateful too! Love, Katie

Catherine said...

I couldn't help but tear up reading about little Etta's tenderness. You're right, children are so precious. Grandma Etta sounds like a wonderful woman. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Chari said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Andy's grandma. I know she means a lot to him. May you both be blessed with comfort right now enjoying all the great memories you have of her!